Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Soccer!

A friend of mine with twins and my neighbor told me about Lil' Kickers, a soccer program for kids ages 18 months-9 years, ten minutes from our house! I decided to give it a whirl and do a trial class before signing up for the "spring session".

I explained to the kids we are going to soccer today and they both squealed and told me "I do it. Soccer. I kick ball. Mommy, I ball kick" (so funny). Then I explain that they have to listen, follow directions, and SHARE. Kate said "NO!". Oh geez, now I am freaking out because we are on our way to soccer and she repeats "No Share Mommy." So I explain that good girls share...silence in the back seat... then, "Mommy. I share ball." Phew!

The session was packed with a a variety of engaging activities that you do with your child(ren). The coach was super enthusiastic, knew every child's name, guided both the parents and children seamlessly, and clearly understood the needs of a toddler! The kids totally caught on to who was in charge, when to sit on their plastic circle, and following (most) directions with prompting from Mom.

Schedule (50 minutes)
1. Free Play - Kate runs around and kicks the ball everywhere. Max collects only the blue balls(hehe) and puts them all in the goal.
2. Circle Time (Share your name) – Max says “ME!” Kate says “Kate! YAY!”
3. Stretch and Run (Red Light/Green Light)- Both LOVED this part!
4. Kick Ball to Mommy - A little sketchy since I was trying to direct two kids to kick a ball at me... (Homework: practice this at home)
5. Stack Cones - Max was focused! Kate loved kicking her tower down!
6. Parachute - Ring Around the Rosie
7. Water Break
8. Score a Goal - Kate was having a meltdown. Max shot his goal and was mostly intrigued by the noodles set up to guide the balls to the goal.
9. Bubbles - Both loved stomping out the bubbles!
10.Star Stamp and Go Team Cheer - We did it!








3 comments:

Emily G. said...

this sounds amazing! and kudos to you for tackling it with TWO little ones!

Susan said...

WOW! wish I would have been there as it sounds like great fun but a bit hard on mom with two. good for listening and sharing for sure. Do you think it will be a go for the spring? Love and hugs, YVBA

Proud Parents said...

I think I am going to give it a try for the spring.