Thursday, May 9, 2024

A Rainy Day

A Rainy Day

By Kate Kranz

I stand outside

And say aloud

For Max to pitch the ball

And Alex runs the bases

Until the final call.

“Out!” cries me

As the rain begins to fall

Pitter, patter,

Splish and splatter

Rain begins to fall.


But no one notices as once again we fly.

Round and round the bases,

“Out!” calls Anna

And Jason goes and chases

The kickball that escaped my grasp

As Nathan ran the bases.


And harder now the rain does beat

Down like a bongo drum

But we still keep playing

Because none of us miss the sun

But soon fall back

Soldiers of the corner

To dry with rainbow towels

And hopefully feel warmer


I don't go, and I look up at the sky

A bucket of icy water 

Dumped upon me from up high

Happy is what I feel 

It bubbles and it stings

A wondrous new feeling

That this blue rain cloud brings

And a joyous sound erupts from me

As free as a bird

I slip off my shoes

And yell to be heard


“Come on Anna, come on Alex,”

I say

“The puddles filled, follow me, hurry up, this way!”

Barefoot now we charge on down

The green and grassy hill

And splash around the muddy water

Until we’ve had our fill

Then down comes two more friends from all the way up on high

So again we kick around and muddy  water flies.


So as the dirt and mud of this rain filled puddle soar

The laughter of my friends dwindle to a distant roar

How strange it is to find such happiness in a muddy puddle, 

A friendly game of kickball and a big group huddle. 

To think it all was possible because of 

A rainy day.

No comments: